Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Logbook of CMDR Heavensburn

My name is CMDR Heavensburn. This is my story.

The log records here, prior to AUG 3303, were originally on INARA.
    All logs are cross posted (with any sensitive information redacted) to my Commander Profile on edsm.net).

FLIGHT LOG ENTRIES
    10 JUL 3301 : SO IT BEGINS...
    10 JUL 3301 : WELL, THAT WAS EASY!
    11 JUL 3301 : HEAD. HURTS. SO. BAD.
    11 JUL 3301 : PIMPING AIN'T EASY? ACTUALLY, IT IS.
    12 JUL 3301 : MY FIRST KILL. AND ALMOST MY FIRST INSURANCE CLAIM.
    13 JUL 3301 : SORRY, I WASN'T LISTENING TO ANYTHING BEFORE THE WORD 'PAY'
    15 JUL 3301 : GOING DOWN A DARK PATH...
    18 JUL 3301 : ..AND THE RICH SHALL INHERIT THE UNIVERSE.
    21 AUG 3301 : GHOSTRIDER KEEP RIDING
    30 AUG 3301 : JARADHARRE. LONG WAY TO PORT. THINGS CAN GO WRONG.
    07 SEP 3301 : THE DAWNING OF A NEW EMPEROR
    09 SEP 3301 : IMPERIAL SENATOR KAHINA TIJANI LOREN
    13 SEP 3301 : SEARCHING FOR A GHOST
    16 SEP 3301 : THE BLACK IS CALLING
    27 SEP 3301 : BLEAE THUA REGION - AMMONIA AND EARTH-LIKE WORLDS
    01 OCT 3301 : SMOJUE REGION - AMMONIA AND EARTH-LIKE WORLDS
    14 OCT 3301 : THE FIFTH EARTH-LIKE WORLD
    01 NOV 3301 : VOYAGE HOME
    02 NOV 3301 : UNIVERSAL CARTOGRAPHICS
    07 NOV 3301 : CHILDREN OF RAXXLA
    07 NOV 3301 : THE FORMIDINE RIFT. AND BEYOND?
    12 NOV 3301 : THE FORMIDINE RIFT - 1,500LY FROM REORTE
    14 NOV 3301 : THE FORMIDINE RIFT - 2,500LY FROM REORTE
    29 NOV 3301 : THE FORMIDINE RIFT - 3,750LY FROM REORTE
    06 DEC 3301 : THE FORMIDINE RIFT - 4,250LY FROM REORTE
    08 DEC 3301 : TAINGCHI
    10 DEC 3301 : THE TERIGON
    25 DEC 3301 : MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM HIP 16607
    27 DEC 3301 : THE VEIL & NORTH AMERICA NEBULAS
    28 DEC 3301 : ELEPHANT'S TRUNK & FETUS NEBULAS
    29 DEC 3301 : CAVE NEBULA & CMDR SPACE JUNKY
    31 DEC 3301 : THE BLACK HOLES OF NGC 7822
    02 JAN 3302 : THE FORMIDINE RIFT - 6,000LY FROM REORTE
    03 JAN 3302 : THE FORMIDINE RIFT - 7,500LY FROM REORTE
    04 JAN 3302 : THE FORMIDINE RIFT - 9,750LY FROM REORTE
    05 JAN 3302 : THE FORMIDINE RIFT - 10,250LY FROM REORTE
    07 JAN 3302 : NGC 281 NEBULA
    09 JAN 3302 : HEART & SOUL NEBULAS
    12 JAN 3302 : THE NGC 1333 & CALIFORNIA NEBULA
    14 JAN 3302 : THE CRYSTAL BALL, STRUVE'S LOST NEBULA & PLEIADES NEBULA
    15 JAN 3302 : PIONEER RANK
    28 FEB 3302 : I LIKE IT HERE. I THINK I WILL STAY.

Cheers!
    Last edited by heavensburn; 08-22-2017 at 02:56.

So It Begins...

10 JUL 3301

Today is my first day as an Independent Pilot! After two hard months of Pilots Federation correspondence and simulation courses, my wings have been earned!

My parents on LHS 3447 A 5 were so excited, they gave my room to my brother and helped me secure financing on a Sidewinder Mk I. A quick kiss, a duffle bag of my worldly possessions, and I was on the shuttle to Trevithick Dock to get my ship.

It's not the newest ship. OK, it's old. Really old. The tarnished registration plate under the dash shows the in-service date as 3249. The cockpit smells like a mixture of stale feet and urine. I'm guessing the previous owner left it for salvage if the red stain on the chair is what I think it is. Assuming that buzzing sound doesn't get worse, it should get me from System A to System B. Externally, it needs a new paint job and the loan officer assured me the green stuff leaking out of the left nacelle is normal. I've got 1,000 CR in my account and 2 loaned Pulse Lasers from Uncle Ray on the hard points. Bohyaa! I'm calling it The Smelly Loaner .

Oh man... Let's face it. My parents hate me. They literally kicked me out of the door with glee when the Pilots Federation eMessage came through. This sucks. I wish I had some Onion Head. It always made me feel better. I don't want to be poor and I don't want to be cannon fodder for some pirate who's got even worse luck than me.

Sitting here in the dock complaining won't change things. Only I can change things. And to do that, I need to do things. Just not sure what sort of things. Seemed so easier when Uncle Ray was flying his Adder and I was watching from the co-pilot seat. Damn.

I think I'll start changing things by having a drink. I headed to the null-gee bar for a quick pint of local hooch and to think. Ran into an old buddy, who's now working for the Freedom Party of LHS 3447. He offered to buy me one and I'm in no position to turn down free. He's got a job. Kill a traitor to their faction named Terry Walton. I don't care who it is, could be Nana Bee, 'cause he is willing to pay me 40,000 CR!

My road out of poverty will be paved with corpses!
    Last edited by heavensburn; 08-20-2017 at 20:24.

Well, That Was Easy!

10 JUL 3301

I jumped into CHAMUNDA and The Smelly Loaner didn't blow up. That's a good thing. I started the hunt for my target - old traitor Terry Walton. I parked myself half way between the Nav Beacon and Gidzenko Ring, turned off non-essential components, turned on the smartmusic software and chilled out listening to LaveRadio as ships went past me. Chilling was a bad idea. Hell, this whole thing was a bad idea. It sounded like a good idea when I said "yes", but now as I sit here and think, I realize I'll be sorely outgunned. My shields suck. I got minimal boost to outrun and my power distributor is a joke. Terry is probably flying an iron-assed Cobra Mk III with Military Composite armour and Rail Guns. Or, a Python. Either way, I'm dead on the first pass. Serves my parents right for kissing me off so quickly. This is their fault. The longer I hunt, the more scared I'm getting.

In the end, it didn't matter. I didn't find Terry, but someone found me. Out of the black comes Andrew Barlow. Seems Andrew and Terry are pretty tight. Andrew asks me to follow his Cobra MK III. I know he can probably (will) kill me, but what the hell.

I drop down on his wake trail. Seems pretty chatty for the friend of a traitor. My scanner indicates he's Clean in this system, too. Blah... blah... and low and behold, Andrew gives me a better deal! Walk away, kill noone, and he'll give me the access codes to an illegal account of the Freedom Party of LHS 3447.

I guess my buddy is going to be pretty pissed. Oh well, 26,229 CR for nothing seems like a good deal. Walton probably would have killed me. After all, I failed the Pilots Federation simulator on Fixed weapons.

I headed to Tuan Orbital in the POTRITI system to collect my coin. Tuan is run by the Potriti Gold Mafia. Makes sense this would be where I need to go. I've never been to a place like Tuan before. This isn't somewhere a kid from LHS 3447 A 5 goes on vacation with his mom and dad.

The landing was uneventful and I collected my "shut up & go away" money. Since I'm here, I might as well check the place out. Time to get really, really drunk. After the sleep cycle, I'll figure out what to spend it on.
    Last edited by heavensburn; 08-20-2017 at 20:25.

Head. Hurts. So. Bad.

11 JUL 3301

By the old Gods of SOL! What in hell did I drink last night? These Mafia guys know how to party and are dangerous! I mean Dangerous, as in the Pilots Federation rank, and an "I'll kill you if I want to" kinda way.

I popped twice the recommended dosage of Rejuven-u pills to cure the headache, then spent the next hour trying to remember. Not much is there. All I remember is an ugly dude with one arm, flashing me his Dangerous Pilots rank ID. Cornelius something was his name. Kept blabbing on about how he had the death sentence in twelve systems. One of his buddies told him to shut up, and to remember what happened last time he said that, then he got quiet and went back to his corner booth.

Now that I'm sober, I realize Tuan Orbital kind of sucks. Sure, the company was interesting, but there isn't much else. No Shipyard, no Outfitters. You can't even (legally) buy and sell stuff, though a thriving Black Market is present. Just a gas dock and a rearm depot. I wish I could remember why in my eMessage alerts, the Bureau of Potriti was asking me to fork over 4,906 CR to help in station repairs. I paid, just in case it was me that facilitated the "repairs". I've been known to do things when blackout drunk and didn't want to appear on the local vid-circuit...
    Last edited by heavensburn; 08-20-2017 at 18:52.

Pimping Ain't Easy? Actually, It Is.

11 JUL 3301

As I was waiting for the autobots to finish prepping The Smelly Loaner for departure, a message came through on my vid-screen. Seems I might have made some friends last night. 69,958 CR to transport 4 units of Slaves to ERAVATE! I, of course, said yes. This should be a lot easier than killing folks and I don't see any problems with slaving. Before you judge me, know that it ain't black & white and space is very, very black indeed. Outside of the moral and legal issues, slaving is just like any other commodity, right? As soon as my new cargo was loaded, I was gone.

The run to Sylvester City was fast and uneventful. Just like Uncle Ray had shown me, I looped down and back up towards the station in order to escape the gravity wells. He did it to outsmart the pirates. I did it to outsmart the system cops. That shaves a few seconds off of a straight run. Then, when the Navi-Com said I was 6 seconds out, I cut throttles to 75%. Glide right in while watching the HUD Scanner for bogies.

Being an outpost, and thanks to President Hudson, security was non-existent when I dropped to normal space. I moved into the Hangar quickly to confuse any roaming scanners. Out of sight, out of mind. The Slaver was happy I had delivered so quickly - with all his cargo intact. Hopefully, this will lead to more jobs in the future. The Pilots Federation also seems to have thought I did 'good'. They increased my Trade Rank to Mostly Penniless.

ERAVATE is a big wealth system with over 740,000,000 souls spread out across six ports, and a terraformed planet (ERAVATE 5). I headed to Russell Ring, the Industrial Hub. At Russell, I checked out the Shipyard. Good selection and I could easily move up to an Eagle or even an Adder. But, I'm only 50,000 CR from a Viper - a real, mean fighting machine! Sure, I'll need a few hundred thousand more to kit it out, but I can make that easily enough once I'm in her cockpit. I talked at length with the salesman, who agreed he would give me full-value for any trade-ins I wanted to make on Sidewinder components when I upgrade.

I eMessaged Uncle Ray and told him I was sending him his Pulsers back as I have Gimballed Bursters now. Internally, I upgraded to an A Ranked Power Distributor, C Ranked Shield Generator and D Ranks for the others. Uncle Ray had always said the Power Distributor is the key to life - faster rechargers = faster kills & faster escapes. D Ranks also make sense, as they are lighter which increases the FSD range.

That leaves me about 18,000 CR with an insurance premium of ~3,500 CR. Time to go make some more money!
    Last edited by heavensburn; 08-20-2017 at 20:25.

My First Kill. And Almost My First Insurance Claim.

12 JUL 3301

While leaving Russell Ring, my scanner picked up a Commander in an Asp just outside the station with a 25,097 CR bounty. I was itching to try out my new Bursters and he was already engaged with the station cops. I stalked my prey, watching his shields drop as I practiced staying in tight (under 400m). When he was down to 30% hull, I struck and delivered the killing blow. I was charged with a 250 CR fine in the process for violating the station's No Fire Zone. My bad! The bounty covers the fine 100 times over!

At Cleave Hub, I paid the fine and collected my bounty.

I'm officially a "bounty hunter" and on my way to The Elite:

I headed to the Nav Beacon, a transient hot bed usually as ships hyperspace in and out of system. I was right. I saw several CMDRs at the Nav Beacon and offered to Wing with all, however there was no takers. Winging allows CMDRs to share kills, making hunting far more efficient. Too bad for them, as I quickly pocketed 64,000 CR in bounties on 5 kills (bringing my life time total to 6 kills). It was time to head back to Russell Ring and get my Viper!

An odd looking Vulture approached from the black. My scanner confirmed this was a heavily armed bird of prey. Far more powerful than the nest of Sidewinders and Cobras it had entered. I failed to note the CMDR's name, but the ship was aligned with Mahon and far from Alliance space. It really made no sense, as all the CMDRs around me were Independents. This might be Hudson space, but none I noticed were aligned. The hair on my neck went up. I targeted his power supply, for I know those are weak on a Vulture and slowly backed away - trying to keep him at 1KM or greater.

Across the Local channel, the Vulture broadcast:
    "Do I not stomp"
    "Or do I stomp"

Frankly, it wasn't very well said. "To stomp, or not to stomp? That is the question" would have sounded much better in a Shakespearian kind of way. Didn't matter, though, he got his point across as klaxons sounded and Beam lasers flashed across my canopy!

This was a fight I could not win, but I had no plans on losing my Viper down payment. I slammed the throttles forward and triggered the Engine Boost. The Smelly Loaner injected a stimulant cocktail via my Remlok to heighten my senses and cope with the G forces. I knew if I tried to run I would never make it to the 3 km range limit of his Beams. I did what he didn't expect. I turned towards him, retracted my hardpoints and began charging my mass-locked FSD drive. He hit me hard in the first pass and disabled my shields, but I kept turning into him. He boosted away to get range on me, but I stayed tight. The dance repeated over and over until finally, with 6% hull remaining, the FSD Drive completed the charge cycle and I escaped! Knowing that he might follow me into Supercruise and try interdicting, I immediately programmed a jump to POTRITI into the Navi-Com.

At Hartsfield Plant, I commenced repairs. And ordered a tall scotch.

The return to Russell Ring was uneventful. I redeemed 64,448 CR in bounties from the Nav Beacon and went to find the dealer. He gave me the deal he promised, and I'm the proud owner of a new Viper! I've christened her The Selfish Liberty, as she's all about my liberty from having to deal with my parents and the Sidewinder loan officer. And Selfish, well, 'cause it's my liberty. I don't really care about your liberty.

He wasn't joking before about the cost of a decent kit! I managed to put the old Bursters on her, and upgrade the included Pulsers to two more Class 1 Gimballed Bursters, but anything else will need to wait. As Uncle Ray always said, "Never, ever spend the insurance money!"
    Last edited by heavensburn; 08-20-2017 at 23:28.

Sorry, I Wasn't Listening To Anything Before The Word 'Pay'

13 JUL 3301

After the sleep cycle, I scanned my eMessages for possible jobs. Quick, painless cash is what I'm looking for. My contacts at Russell Ring tell me the Official Eravate Flag faction is in need of a courier. 2 pods of Imperial Slaves destined for LHS 3447. Seems my reputation as a Transporter is growing.

Slaves and Imperial Slaves are very different commodities. Slaves are slaves. Imperial Slaves, though, are Empire loyalists who willingly enter a term of indentured servitude to pay off debts and obligations. Of course, once you make that commitment, you forfeit many of your rights as an Imperial Citizen. And being an Imperial Citizen outside of Empire space really means squat. I have no idea what goes through their heads. If I end up with so much debt, being someone else's mine mule or pleasure princess ain't what I would be doing to pay it off. Piracy - a free life, even if it ends up being short, is the better choice. Not my problem, though. I'm just the Transporter.

That left me with 2 more cargo spaces to fill. I grabbed another job for LHS 3447 - 1 pod of Battle Weapons for the Eravate Life Services at 20,000 CR. I knew I would need to head back here to collect and I didn't want to come empty handed. The Traditional Eravate Autocracy faction was looking for Coffee. According to the Commodities Market dealers, Coffee is imported from LHS 3447. Perfect. I headed to the Outposts to look for one last contract. All had Commodity Markets and minimal security forces. McMahon Dock and Sylvester City were busts, but I picked up an Tea importation contract for the Eravate Network at Maine Hub. Maine Hub also had a Black Market that I noted for the future.

LHS 3447. Oleskiw Station is 110,000Ls from the Nav Beacon. A long way, but far enough that the gravity wells won't bother me. I'm use to long hauls, having grown up here. It's no big deal. I put on LaveRadio, and relaxed while I watched the scanner for bogies approaching for interdiction. The Slaver paid me 47,108 CR for the timely delivery. And the Pilots Federation increased my rank to Peddler.

The final delivery could be a problem. Dalton Gateway is an Orbis Starport. That means greater security and paperwork. Getting caught isn't part of the contract. Uncle Ray was never a smuggler, but he told me a trick or two. Scanners work on heat. Lower your heat and you are less likely to be noticed. I headed to Fairbairn Station and purchased a Heat Sink, upgraded the Power Plant, Thrusters and Power Distributor to Rank Ds. I also upgraded the Cargo Rack to hold 8 pods, as I'll need that for the return to ERAVATE.

Dalton Gateway. I positioned myself about 7.45KM from the entrance, outside the range of any station scanners and away from the local security forces. After requesting a dock number, I shut down all non-essential systems and slammed the throttles forward. At 4KM, I fired the Heat Sinker and watched the canopy frost. 20,000 CR for the Battle Weapons and another satisfied client. Through a local broker, I purchased 3 pods of Coffee for 3,165 CR and 5 pods of Tea for 6,305 CR. At the Outfitters, I upgraded Life Support and the Shield Generator to Rank D.

ERAVATE. Maine Hub, delivered the Tea contract for 14,804 CR in profit. Russell Ring, delivered the Coffee contract for 8,258 CR. I sold the left over Tea and Coffee for 433 CR in net profit. This gave me enough coin to pick up an used E Ranked Kill Warrant Scanner. The KWS should really help me generate bounty coin, as the advanced scanner checks the intra-system Pilots Federation bounty database. If you are scum in one system, odds are you are scum in another. I needed to disable my Cargo Hatch to lower the power consumption below 100%, but that doesn't matter since I don't plan to haul cargo for a while.
    Last edited by heavensburn; 08-20-2017 at 23:28.

Going Down A Dark Path...

15 JUL 3301

My career as a bounty hunter continues, and my kill count grows with my credit balance. According to the Pilots Federation, I'm now at 79 kills confirmed. My time has been spent near the Eravate Nav Beacon - a hot bed of activity for new pilots, traders, smugglers and the likes that hunt them. I'm not sure why my friends who received their pilots licenses in January or February complained about how hard it was to make an honest credit. I'm literally rolling in the credits!

I've had the opportunity to fly with other CMDRs, too. I've gone on a suicide mission with CMDR Sir.William to a Combat Zone (both of us were forced to eject in seconds - thank the ancient Gods of Sol for the Remlok!). I also practiced flying circles, with Flight Assist Off, around CMDR Oggy171. After terrorizing (and bouncing off) him in his Python for a good 30 minutes, I thanked him and was told "I speak fr". Not sure what "fr" is. Perhaps a language spoken at the Francisco de Almeida Platform in 7 G. AQUILAE. I've heard they speak some weird, ancient Sol dialects. Regardless, good for a laugh and I hope he didn't poop himself. Speaking from personal experience, it's pretty hard to clean out those Remloks...

Along the way, I've upgraded internal components on The Selfish Liberty - upgrading both the Power Plant and the Shield Generator to B ranks. On the hardpoints, I've upgraded the KWS to a D rank, while swapping my 2 x Class 2 Pulsers for Bursters (acquired at Russell Ring) and replaced the Class 1 Bursters with Rail Guns.

Rail Guns are very different from the Gimballed Bursters and Pulsers I've been using. Finite ammunition makes every shot count. The high power consumption forces me to manually arm one at a time. Being fixed, a much greater level of skill is required. My plan is to master the art of fixed guns with these before moving on to the larger, more powerful, Plasma Accelerator. Not sure how that will work out. I failed fixed sim-training on the Pilots exam...

Knowing Rail Guns are better on larger ships, I accepted an assassination mission to kill a Pirate Lord named Al Smith in LTT 18486 for 82,000 CR. Might as well make some coin while learning to use them.

LTT 18486. I positioned myself halfway between the Nav Beacon and Boswell Platform. I scanned all traffic until I found my quarry. He interdicted (how kind of him!) and saved me the trouble of chasing until he dropped to normal space. He was alone in a Python. I boosted in tight, used my Bursters to lower his shields, and targeted his Power Plant with my Rail Guns. Damn, I'm a terrible shot! I would shoot at him until he got a lucky shot and lowered my shields, then I would boost away, returning after my shields were recharged. The dance continued until the System Security Forces arrived. By now, I had him down to 5% Hull, but the pigs managed to take him out - robbing me of my bounty and damaging my reputation!

To add insult to injury, I received the following communication:

In Hudson space, the Pirate Lord Aisling Duval is now more feared than the Pirate Lord Delaine...
    Damn. Seems this Pirate Lord Al Smith is uniting a motley crew of cutthroat Anime fanboys - just like the Princess Space-Kaleesi!

I returned to Eravate, frustrated at the pigs, and headed to the null-gee bar to have a few. There, I learned about a Resource Extraction Site at KREMAINN - only 2 jumps away.

Resource Extraction Sites are interesting places. These resource rich asteroid belts attract many miners, which in turn attract many pirates, which in turn attracts many bounty hunters and System Security Forces. Unlike the Nav Beacons, often RES locations have few CMDRs - resulting in less competition for moi.

KREMAINN. Resource Extraction Site. Unfortunately, this one was ripe with CMDRs - none who wanted to wing or respond to my hails. Fine, I'll play the game and steal your bounties. I scored many a kill by waiting until the other CMDR had almost finished his prey, then boosting in, firing a quick round of my Bursters and scoring the bounty. I like to finish it off with a little victory roll around, or near-miss boosted pass, of the cheated CMDR. In high school, I was told I had an "anti-social streak". This coming from the counsellor who use to ask ME for Onion Head! I'm just living up to whatever typecasted character you told me I should be, Mr. Bohay! Heck, if I keep stealing bounties like this, maybe I'll be anti-social enough to become a pig and join the System Security Forces!

I did score a few righteous kills on my own, including the infamous pirate Eho Eicha:

Eho, also known as The UTF8 Bandit, liked to hail his trader victims with a stream of unintelligible grunts, clicks and groans. Confused, the trader was left momentarily believing he was under attack by Thargoids and often accidentally lowered their shields. Eho would then fire cargo limpets and make off. Of course, that's past tense now. 'Cause he is dead.

I sent the following message to him as his hull reached 0% - G��Dby3 - Y�u S�cK �nd �re D3�D!.
    Last edited by heavensburn; 08-20-2017 at 22:19.

..and The Rich Shall Inherit The Universe.

18 JUL 3301

I have spent my time jumping between Eravate, Kremainn and Apoyota. Working as a Transporter is highly lucrative. The speed, and tiny footprint, of The Selfish Liberty is ideal for this work. Launching the Heat Sink at 4km to station seems to be the sweat spot. Most of the time.

Most of the time. I was reminded again of the incompetence of the Federal Security System Forces and their laws at Wohler Terminal in the Kermainn system. While in a holding pattern awaiting docking clearance, I was scanned by a two ship wing of criminals driving an Eagle and a Viper. I'm only 400 meters from the Outpost when the 'stards hail me. Docking Control must see they are wanted, yet they say nothing! I was ordered to drop my Slave cargo, as per the pirate norm. My Contracts pay me to deliver. My reputation and my pay are at stake.

I full reversed away from them towards the No Fire Zone line as their demand was repeated. Incurring a fine, no matter if it's self defence or not, is attention I don't want. As luck would have it, another CMDR also waiting for docking clearance in a Cobra Mk III decided to engage the Eagle, leaving me to fight the Viper.

My HUD indicated I had left the No Fire Zone, and I started my attack roll. I've been doing some upgrades of the Viper and careful research. I've replaced the Bursters with Class 1 gimballed Beams, and swapped out the Class 2 Rail Guns for fixed Cannons:

• The Rail Gain heat and energy usage didn't allow for both hardpoints to be armed at the same time;
    • The Cannon holds considerably more ammunition;
    • The load time for the Rail Gun threw off my aim;

As for the Bursters vs Beams, I incorrectly assumed Bursters provided a better punch. After consulting a weapons outfitter on Russell Ring, I made the switch.

My Beams sliced through the Viper's shields and I then hit him with both barrels of the Cannons. The Cobra also joined in. During the melee, I must have crossed back over the No Fire Zone line, as I incurred a 270 CR fine regardless of my efforts to stay "clean". Worse - during the confusion, the Cobra scooped the bounty!

Frustrated, I docked and delivered the Slaves. Another Contact immediately offered a Transporter mission to Eravate for similar cargo. While I waited for the autobots to complete the cargo load, the System Security Forces finally arrived! Now they fine me 11,000 CR for the illegal cargo! The saving grace was I had already delivered the Slaves required for Kremainn, so while the fine hurt it would not impact my reputation as the Slavers in Eravate would not know. Regardless, the Federation seems to be becoming more of a problem as my reputation and credit balance grows. They offer no assistance when required and only headaches when not. It's just too damn convenient that in both engagements, now and a few days ago, the Federal SSFs arrive just in time to miss the action and to fine me (or steal my bounties). Such is Federal space...

Federal space. Overtaxed Out World's like LHS 3447 feeding the troughs of the Home World's.
    Traders and bounty hunters die while the rich get richer.

CMDR Here You Go, how did you get an Anaconda with a Mostly Harmless rating:

Another rich kid from Sol, I'll bet, who's dad bought him a 'toy' a real pilot could only dream of! Flying around in his "look at me" ship. Bloody idiot probably doesn't even know he's got a Bounty on his head! Based on the amount, he doesn't know how to dock, either! Spoiled brat who never worked a day in his life and has no idea of just how hard it is to survive in the Out Worlds. I'm becoming sick of this.

Perhaps CMDR Anan I'mus of the Kumo Crew has the right idea. I met him while attempting to complete an assassination mission around Kremainn (a mission I failed, again, but that's another story). He appeared to be hitting Federation pilots in the Resource Extraction Sites. I found him in Hyperspace as his battered shields recharged. I hailed and congratulated him for fighting the Fed, to which he responded with "<3". His Anaconda shows the battle scars of a hard life, fighting for his own cause. Freedom. Why pay taxes when you get nothing in return? Why pledge your life to a faction that doesn't respect you?

Perhaps the Kumo Crew has the right idea...
    Last edited by heavensburn; 08-20-2017 at 20:28.

Ghostrider Keep Riding

21 AUG 3301

"Baby, baby, baby, baby, he's blazing away
    Like the star, star, stars in the universe, yeah

Ghostrider, Ghostrider, Ghostrider, Ghostrider keep riding
    Never stop riding

Hey, hey, don't forget to burn, don't forget to burn
    Burn with fire, with fire, fire, fire, fire with fire, yeah"

You have a lot of time to burn when you’re a smuggler. Moments of pure Remlok injected syntho-drenal offset with hours of waiting. Waiting for a contract worth your time. Waiting for autobots to load unscanned cargo. Waiting for a gap in the System Security Forces hovering around a Coriolis Station. That’s the worst time. That’s when I worry and pray that my coolants are just that much better than their scanners. When everything is off except the Power Plant. When the frost covers your view port, and your breathing echoes in your helmet. As you wait for that gap. That gap between the F63s that screams at you like a huge holo-sign. Then you see it. And you pound the Engine Boost, feel engines burn, and are sucked back into your seat. That burn is the best. That burn makes up for all the time wasted waiting.

A few months back, I would have told you time is best wasted with a boil of Onion Head. Now, I try to be more productive. Death can be quick in the black. Time is valuable, even if it must be wasted. I spend a lot of time looking for gems in the ancient Sol music databases. Like the “Ghostrider” I quoted above by the great 20th century Sol poet Henri Rollins. Or was it by Alan Vega? The atomic wars of 2040 make data verification from around that time difficult at best. Besides, it’s the words that matter.

The “Ghostrider" speaks of an empire called America killing it’s youth. Chocking and drowning them with falsehoods of an utopia that doesn't exist. Swap out the word America for Federation, and you see the story hasn’t changed. Except, some of us see the truths - like the Ghostrider. Thats why I choose to smuggle. Screw the Federation and their tax schemes. Slaves? Narcotics? Battle Weapons? You need to get them from system A to system B? No problem. Business is booming. I’ve made enough in the last month to retire The Selfish Liberty. She's in long-term storage at LHS 3447 in Trevitchock Dock.

I drive a Cobra Mk.III now. The Ghostrider. An iron-ass - which means, Military Grade Alloys and Hull Reinforcements in lieu of shields. That helps her run with a smaller Power Plant and a lower heat signature. I still need to complete the upgrades on the FSD and Thrusters, but she’s already a beauty of stealth and power. Her custom graphite black paint makes her look bad-ass and I love her.

Black on black makes her hard to spot visually, too. I need that, for my business model has grown. See, I’m not the only pilot who has realized smuggling pays better. That’s competition I don’t need. The Ghostrider has some options The Selfish Liberty didn't. Such as a Cargo Scanner, FSD Interdictor and Hatch Breaker. If a particular faction has a infestation of smugglers, The Ghostrider can fill that contract. I prefer to work on Wanted smugglers, but that's not always possible.

A smuggler in Chamunda System was the first "Clean" I killed. I had a tight schedule. My contract was to execute and I always complete my contracts. Besides, how Clean are any of us? Still. It wasn't easy. Even though my Pilots Federation Record records over a 100 kills, all of them were legit. This felt much more like murder. I was lucky in a way. My dual Cannons hit something vital at 40% hull and he unexpectedly exploded. He was the first, but there have been others and it gets easier.

Sometimes, it's really easy. I always hated weddings...

Last edited by heavensburn; 08-21-2017 at 14:42.